Monday, July 7, 2008

Holiday - gone but not forgotten!

The July 4th holiday weekend was blissful--I reveled in NOTHING TO DO -- I even watched an old Jimmy Stewart, Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant movie, Philadelphia Story three times on my trusty little MAC. Drove over to Smicksburg Friday and Sunday to browse through places called "Amish Country" and "The Drying Shed" that sell Country products (which I'm not crazy about) and hand-made Amish handicrafts (which I am crazy about). Ended up both times eating salad and quiche at Thee Eating Place - amazing food, lovely, muted decor, unbelievable prices compared to those in San Diego.

Monday came way too fast, but I find a certain comfort in being in Mike (M) Williamson's class again--I know I will learn valuable "stuff" in an atmosphere that is safe and nurturing. Language and Cognition-- what do I know about it (or psycholinguistics) as Dr. Williamson referenced it to an earlier course offered here.

I would like to be more knowledgeable about what I expect from this course, but at this point I'm not. However, I am fascinated by research on how the brain works, and I'd like to learn a whole lot more about how language (writing and speaking) informs thought. So maybe four weeks from now, I'll be able to sound more like a scholar, but always a seeker for truth.

In addition to teaching composition classes at San Diego City College, I teach a non-credit ESL class (high beginning) evening at Palomar College to students--literally in from the fields, construction sites, landscape jobs, and cleaning houses. How does language acquistion work for them? Sure, I have a lot of strategies that I pull out of my sleeve (sorry for the cliche), but who can explain the magic by which people gain facility, fluency, and meaning in another language. And why is it easier for some than others?

And then, there's my soon-to-be-five grandaughter (light of my life), Abigail, who has acquired spoken language with dazzling prococity. Of course, she models the language of her mom and Dad and all the rest of the aunts, uncles, and grandparents. But what's the brain process that enables her to acquire the spoken symbols by which she acquires and produces meaning.

Last of all, there are my own cognitive processes--often distressingly balky and unproductive. I want to learn everything this course offers that will improve my own cognitive functioning.

More later -- Jean

No comments: